[home]    [Hochertz]    [Kitty's children]    [surname index]    [Wachdorf index]

To jump straight to photographs, click here: pics. Many thanks to Hochertz descendent Pat, for putting names to faces in photographs. Click here to jump to the records (census, newspaper article, etc): paper trail

Edward Charles Hochertz

1-17-1914 to May 1985



   1912 Tony Hochertz Jr

   1916 Coletta (died 1919)

   1918 Marie Hochertz


   1919-Dorothy Hochertz


   1921 Magdalen Hochertz


   1923Charlotte Hochertz


   1925 Harry J Hochertz




Mary Pratapas





 Richard M. 1951-2008


Living descendents not listed to protect their privacy



Anthony John "Tony" Hochertz


Kitty Hochertz

(Catherine Anna "Kitty" Wachdorf)

spouse's parents:

maternal grandparents:

Anton Wachdorf & Anna Klein


paternal grandmother:

Johanna Hochertz

maternal aunts & uncles:

1883-Clara Roster; 1886-Harry H. Wachdorf; 1888-Edward Wachdorf ; 1892-Joseph Wachdorf;  1895-Lettie Myers; 1897-Mae Wachdorf; 1899-Frances Stevens; 1902-Madge Wachdorf


paternal aunts:

Sr. Mary Achatia; Sr. Mary Radegundis

Click on image to enlarge. Once enlarged, to zoom, move cursor to right of image, back onto image, and click again.

one of the little boys is Eddie, with (from left) his grandmother Anna Klein Wachdorf, Aunt Midge, his mother, his cousin Celia Roster, & brother Tony


Mary, Eddie, and children 2-18-1943

cousins Harry Wachdorf & Eddie Hochertz, being watched by Harry's nephew & Eddie's son 2-18-1943

Harry & Eddie again

Eddie behind his parents, with cousin Harry Wachdorf

from left: unknown, Tony Hochertz Sr, Eddie Hochertz, Bunky (Frank) Wachdorf & Harry Wachdorf 2-18-1943

from left Magdalen, cousin Harry Wachdorf, Charlotte behind Dorothy, Ed's wife Mary (I think), and Ed Wachdorf III

WWII article about his adventures on a ship sunk by torpedo (transcription below)

Edward & his sister Magdalen 1943 on wedding day of sister Dorothy

Paper Trail

1920 census Ward 31, District 1911, 21st Precinct, 5924 Parnell

Anthony Hochertz, age 39, born in Germany of German parents, imm 1890 (wrong), agent (illegible) gun/gum Co

wife Katherine, age 25, born in IL of German parents (wrong, mother born IL)

Son Anthony, age 7, born IL (all kids born IL)

son Edward, age 5

daughter Marie, age one year 11 months (census taken Jan. 1920)

daughter Dorothy, age 8 months


1930 census 17th Ward, block 85 District 651, 5924 Parnell (owns, value $6000, has radio)

Anthony Hochertz, age 50, married at 31, born in Germany, immigrated 1882, vender--machine gum/gun

wife Katherine, age 47, married at 27, born IL of parents born in IL (wrong, father born Germany)

son Anthony, age 17, born IL (all kids born IL), worker--odd jobs

son Edward, age 16, errand boy--grocery

daughter Marie, age 12

daughter Dorothy, age 10

daughter Madeline, age 8

daughter Charlotte, age 6

son Harry, age 4 yrs 8 months


Article possibly from Southtown Economist, May 1943:



     "On his first trip to sea Edward Hochertz, 505 W. 61st St, who joined the Merchant Marine November 13, had the harrowing experience of abandoning a sinking ship and being adrift in a lifeboat for six hours before his crew was picked up by the shore patrol.

            Recalling the experience and describing what at the time seemed an interminable wait for rescue, he said, "Was I ever hungry!"

            The ship on which Hochertz was serving was torpedoed and sunk 65 miles off the coast of North Carolina while on convoy duty. The shore patrol went to the scene of the disaster, but seeing that the crew was safe in lifeboats did not rescue it until after an attempt to locate the submarine.


            The vivid story of the sinking and its aftermath was told by Hochertz Friday while he was preparing to return to his station after spending a furlough with his wife, Mary, and their two children, Helen Marie, nine years old, and Donald Edward, four.

            "I was asleep in my cabin one morning, having just finished a watch two hours before. A loud sound woke me. That was the torpedo. It had struck our ship. The terrific concussion threw me from my bed, and I was tossed about in the cabin.

            "Finally I made a grab for my papers, my life jacket, and a coat, and ran on deck and waited for an order to abandon the ship.

            "The ship wasn't beyond salvage after the first torpedo struck, but we could do nothing but wait for the Germans to attack us again. We were helpless and the wait seemed an eternity, but actually was only 10 minutes before the second torpedo shell exploded beneath us. Then we got the order to abandon ship."


            Most of the crew were able to man life boats, according to Hochertz, who said only two lives were lost. He said many of the crew jumped overboard but were picked up from the oil-covered water by the life boats.

            "Twenty-one other men had climbed into the life boat I was in," Hochertz related. "We rowed for our lives and when we were about 100 feet from the ship we looked back to see it disappearing into Davy Jones' locker.

            "With the boat sunk and with immediate help forthcoming from the shore patrol, which was busily engaged in an attempt to locate the sub, we rowed our boat in a wide circle, knowing that the patrol would come to pick us up if we stayed near the scene.

            "The minutes turned to hours. It was a long wait, an awful long wait. But the shore patrol did come and we were returned to a post just before dusk that evening. We had been in the row boat six hours, knowing that help would come but not knowing if the German sub would find us first."

            Hochertz, who was a steel worker, left a defense job to enlist in the merchant marine. His wife now is employed in the same plant.

            The submarine, which torpedoed Hochertz's ship, was sunk the next day.


Sisters and Brother of Bride Attend Couple

Southtown Economist Newspaper, 12-26-1943:

    Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Hochertz, 5924 Parnell ave., have announced the marriage of their daughter, Dorothy Catherine, to Jacob Boersma, 501 W. 45th st.

    The ceremony was performed recently in St. Martin church. The bride wore a white satin gown trimmed with seed pearls and lace. Her long veil fell from an orange blossom tiara and she carried a colonial bouquet of roses and chrysanthemums. Charlotte Hochertz, sister of the bride, was maid of honor. Her gown was of pink taffeta. Another sister, Magdalen, wore blue taffeta and both had blushers with plumes to match their dresses. They carried colonial bouquets of yellow and white chrysanthemums. James Cloutier was best man and Edward Hochertz, brother of the bride, was groomsman.

    A wedding breakfast was held in the bride's home after the nuptials and the reception was held in Berger's hall, 64th st. and Ashland ave., in the evening.


His mother's obituary, Chicago Tribune 3-22-1965

Hochertz, Catherine A., nee Wachdorf, beloved wife of Anthony; devoted mother of Anthony, Edward, Dorothy Boersma, Magdalen Puiszis, Charlotte Warnke, Harry and the late Marie Lindblade; grandmother of 19; five great-grandchildren; sister of Clara Roster, Edward Wachdorf, Coletta Meyers, Mae Wachdorf, Madge Wachdorf, Frances Stevens and the late Harry and Joseph Wachdorf. Funeral Wednesday 9:15 a.m. from Hornburg & Son funeral home 8400 S. Ashland ave to St. Gerald Church. Mass 10 a.m. Interment St. Mary's.


Social Security Death Index:

Edward Hochertz born 1-17-1914, died May 1985 in Roswell, New Mexico.


Obituary of Edward's son, Richard,  Feb. 2008 (names of current generations blanked)

Rantoul--Richard M. Hochertz, 56, of Rantoul, formerly of Princeton, passed away at his home on Saturday afternoon, Feb. 9, 2008. He was born March 18, 1951, in Chicago, a son of Edward Charles and Mary (Pratapas) Hochertz. He is survived by a son, ***, of West Point Military Academy, New York; a daughter, ***, of Chicago; a brother, ***, of Michigan; two sisters, *** of Chicago and *** of Midlothian; a niece, ***, and two nephews, *** and ***. Also surviving is a fiancee, *** of Rantoul. Richard was a graduate of Hubbard High School, Chicago. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 13, at Lux Memorial Chapel. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the family.